Joomla file and folder permissions on a Unix web server can be one of the most confusing issues for new Joomla web site administrators. Not only is the system very different from experience you may (or may not) have dealing with permissions on other systems, there are many variables that can change the 'standard' advice.
This means that many Joomla websites operators run into difficulties.
Joomla and Unix File Permissions
Typical issues that folder permissions can cause for Joomla websites include:
- Problems during Joomla installation
- Problems immediately after moving an existing Joomla site to a new server
- Alert messages - such as warning, notice, and error messages visible in your html
- Images failing to load and giving either 404 not found, or 403 permission denied errors.
- Blank or 'white' pages - these are error messages but with the error suppressed due to server configuration
Help with Unix Web Server File Permissions
Joomla's forums provide a fantastic resource for general principles and advice, but the people helping with your Joomla permissions issue cannot see the issues first hand. They can't be aware of all of the circumstances of your web server's settings and the way the server operator has chosen to configure and operate the server.
We can help you set things up so that your website 'just works'. Not only will we solve your initial issues - we will do our best to explain the solution so that you are equipped to handle similar issues in the future.